Looking for the best gynecologist? You are at the right place!
Gynaecology is a medical profession that involves the reproductive system of a woman and it’s care. A gynaecologist is a highly experienced person in the medical field, that chooses to devote her medical career to women and their health care. A gynaecologist deals with the issues concerning the ovaries, uterus, vagina and cervix of a woman. They also offer advice on the proper care and maintenance of the vagina to avoid any hygiene issues. The gynaecologist is the doctor to go to when you are experiencing
- Abnormal bleeding
- Painful urination
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Urinal incontinence
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Breast sensitivity
What does a Gynaecologist do?
A gynaecologist in addition to treating all these problems also helps in childbirth, pregnancy issues and postnatal care. A gynaecologist and obstetricians field is very similar as both of them are related to the female reproductive system. Hence most of the doctors complete their specialization in both obstetrics and gynaecology and are collectively known as OB-GYNs. A gynaecologist performs the following procedures on her patients to treat them of their problems-
- Dilation and curettage
- Biopsy- for finding the source of the problem
- Tubal litigation for female sterilization
- Laser surgery
- Hysterectomy- the removal of the uterus as a method of contraception
- Myomectomy- the removal of fibroids
And the following procedures relating to childbirth
- In vitro fertilization
- vaginal delivery
- cesarean delivery
- amniocentesis to determine sex and detect any abnormalities
- forceps and vacuum deliveries
When is the best time to visit a gynaecologist?
The best way to treat your health and medical issues is with preventive care. Even if there is an underlying disease that yet hasn’t started to show it’s symptoms can be detected and controlled after frequent visits to the gynaecologist. Women who are healthy and do not have any signs of any problems should visit the gynaecologist at least once a year. During those visits, your doctor may conduct a number of tests, evaluations and immunizations to make sure there isn’t an underlying disease. The tests are determined by your age group. Also in addition to these visits, you should also visit a gynaecologist doctor when you get your first menstrual cycle and then when changes in your menstrual cycle occur. These changes can be anything such as
- Missed periods
- Irregular periods
- Irregular or abnormal bleeding
- Abnormal pain during your period
- Weird vaginal discharge
What are the specializations of a gynaecologist?
Usually, a gynaecologist is a generalist but about 10% of them turn their specializations into one of the following subspecialties –
- Maternal-fetal medicine- these are the specialists that care for patients with high-risk pregnancies and medical conditions related to it
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility- These doctors address issues related to Infertility and gland and hormones of the endocrine system and are called endocrinologists.
- Gynecologic oncology- these are oncologists specialized in treating cancer in the reproductive parts of the female body such as ovaries, Vulva, cervix and uterus.
- Female pelvic medicine and reproductive surgery- These surgeons focus on treating women with urinary tract disorders. They also focus on disorders of the connective tissue and muscle located beneath a woman’s pelvis which is called the pelvic floor.